Reprinted by permission from the R.H. Smith School of Business Association of Doctoral Students Spring 2007 newsletter. Thank you Sherae!
By Sherae Daniel
Questions to be prepared to answer during an interview and/or campus visit:
Your Future Plans
• When do you plan to graduate?
• What are your professional goals?
• What kind of research do you plan to do in the future?
• Who do you plan to work with in the future?
• What projects do you want to do in the future?
Questions Related to Your Job Search
• Why did you apply to this school (university) in particular?
• Have you been to this city (that the school is in) before?
• What other schools are you talking to?
Teaching Related Questions
• What kinds of classes are you comfortable teaching?
• How did your past teaching experiences go?
• What book did you use when you taught (whatever class you taught)?
• How many students were in the class you taught?
• What were your teaching review scores?
• Do you prefer to teach MBA, PHD or undergrad?
About your advisors
• How are your advisors/did they get tenure/have they read my paper?
• Is X your main advisor? How does co-chairing work?
More Personal Questions
• Will your spouse be willing to move here (or do you have other challenges related to moving)?
• How old are you? You look like you are my children’s age.
• Do you like writing?
• How is so-and-so (even if he/she isn’t your advisor or on your committee)?
Specifics About Your Presentation/Dissertation/Research
• Tell me about your dissertation.
• Why did you publish in the journal you published in?
• Why did you use this word instead of that word for your construct?
• Where do you want to/plan to publish your work?
• What causes the unexplained variance in your model (regression)?
• Why do you cite this person and not that person?
• Your cite is old, what is new in this area?
Filed under: Job search |